Continuum of Care
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is one of the only rehabilitation facilities with its own inpatient pediatric floor.
During an inpatient stay, our integrated team of pediatric rehabilitation specialists — including physicians, hospitalists, nurses and other clinical staff — develops a customized care plan designed to help meet your child’s unique rehabilitation goals. Your team may also include a social worker and Child Life specialist to assist with social and emotional needs.
Pediatric Outpatient Care
Available at multiple Chicagoland locations. Our pediatric outpatient programs provide physician and therapy services for children from birth through early adulthood. If your child is referred by another physician, our therapists will collaborate with him or her, set goals and ensure that your child has the opportunity to achieve the best possible outcome.
Pediatric Outpatient DayRehab©
Available at locations throughout Chicagoland, Shirley Ryan AbilityLab offers pediatric patients full-day, outpatient rehabilitation in our DayRehab Centers. These Centers set the standard for patients who no longer require hospitalization, but still need intensive, multidisciplinary care.
The goal is to help Pediatric patients regain the highest level of function while living at home. The pediatric team at our DayRehab Centers includes physicians, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists and psychologists. This team also works to facilitate a successful return to school for each child, making recommendations or accommodations and modifications, when necessary.
As a leader in pediatric rehabilitation, we provide a comprehensive range of services — some that are only available at Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. With a few exceptions, these services are only provided to inpatients at the flagship hospital in Chicago.
- Art & Music Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy focusing on physical, occupational and speech-language therapy
- Augmentative and alternative communication expertise/assistive technology
- Botulinum toxin injections and phenol nerve blocks
- Child Life Program
- Constraint-induced movement therapy
- Feeding and swallowing therapy
- Gait analysis in the Motion Analysis Center
- “Go Baby Go” Assessment
- Intensive Outpatient Pediatric Therapy Program
- Intensive summer camps
- Intrathecal baclofen pump refills and management
- Prosthetics and orthotics
- Serial casting for arms and legs
- Specialty pediatric equipment: Armeo Spring, Intelligent Stretcher, Lokomat, WalkAide
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Wheelchair seating and positioning
- Young Adult Transition Program
Our team also collaborates with other specialized pediatric physicians, including neurosurgeons, hematology oncologists, urologists and orthopedic physicians for the following multidisciplinary clinics: