The musculoskeletal physicians at the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab specialize in non-operative management of acute and subacute orthopedic injuries. Physicians who specialize in sports, spine and musculoskeletal (MSK) injuries lead our integrated team of clinical experts. They provide whole-body comprehensive care for the musculoskeletal system to
improve your outcomes.
In Musculoskeletal Medicine, we specialize in:
- Sports injuries: Ankle sprains, hip injuries, knee pain, plantar fascitis, rotator cuff injuries, stress fractures, tennis elbow
- Spine Medicine: Neck and Back pain, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, sciatica
- Spinal Injections: Fluoroscopically guided epidural injections, facet injections, sacroiliac joint injections
- Women's health: Pregnancy-related low-back or pelvic pain, urinary incontinence, osteoporosis
- Performing Arts Medicine: Musicians, actors, acrobats
Our team includes:
• Sports medicine board-certified physicians
• Physicians with fellowship training in interventional spine procedures
• Physician experts in women’s musculoskeletal health
• Board-certified rheumatologist
• Licensed physician accupuncturist
The Difference: Physician-led, Expert Clinical Teams
While many providers offer basic rehabilitation, few have physician-led, expert clinical teams who work 1-on-1 with you throughout your care. At AbilityLab, we know that physician-led care makes a significant difference in getting you better. Your AbilityLab doctor oversees your treatment team and is based, in most cases, where you have therapy. This means you have access to a sports or spine specialist throughout your care, and he or she will be the one to call you back with test results and to discuss your treatment plan.
The average number of treatment sessions in AbilityLab’s Musculoskeletal Medicine Program is 5.7 (versus other Chicagoland centers at 14 sessions). We understand that you’re busy and want to get better faster. With our 1-on-1, therapist-to-patient care, we offer the fastest path to healing.
The Best in America
New or acute injury? At AbilityLab, a doctor who specializes in the evaluation and treatment of back, spine, sports and musculoskeletal (MSK) injuries can see you right away. These experts are board-certified doctors in physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R), and they have chosen to make careers here at the #1 rehabilitation hospital in America. We offer an integrated approach to rehabilitation care, including physician services, on-site diagnostics and specially trained therapists working together to Advance Human Ability™.
In addition, our integration includes ongoing research. At AbilityLab, you will have the benefit of the direct application of research advances during therapy. AbilityLab is the first and only research hospital to offer this approach to rehabilitation. By translating research discoveries directly during care, we offer you the best chance for your best outcome, faster.