Art Therapy uses the creative process of making art to improve physical, mental, and emotional well-being of individuals of all ages. Through creating art and reflecting on the artistic process, people can increase awareness of self, cope with symptoms and stress, enhance cognitive abilities, and enjoy the pleasures of making art.
The Art Therapy program at Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is based on belief that creative process:
- Facilitates mind-body connection
- Assists patients in exploring intense emotions accompanying the rehabilitation process
- Encourages self-expression
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Promotes healing and self-awareness.
Individual and group sessions led by board certified art therapist focus on building resiliency through the promotion of self-esteem and functional independence. Patients explore new possibilities to approach their lives and discover strengths through adaptation of art materials. They are able to engage in art with the highest level of independence and find freedom in the artistic process.