Now Accepting Volunteer Applications
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is currently accepting new volunteer applications. All interested applicants must supply COVID-19 vaccination records and other requested immunizations.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Do Volunteers Make A Difference?
Volunteers are central to how patients and families feel about their care at the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. We cherish our volunteers because they add diversity, dimension and vibrancy to how we — and you — express compassion.
There is no other research hospital in the world that will be practicing “translational” medicine, i.e., research will be directly applied (or “translated”) during therapy, with doctors and researchers working in the same space, real time, 24/7, with patients. Our stunning building is architecturally designed to create this seamless integration.
As integral members of our healthcare team, the contributions of volunteers are far-reaching:
- Administrative support — Providing office support services to departments.
- Patient services — Visiting adult and pediatric patients, mail/flyer delivery, patient transport.
- Therapy sessions — Working with staff and patients in physical and occupational therapy sessions.
- Therapeutic recreation — Reinforcing social and therapeutic processes by helping patients participate in therapeutic activities.
- Adaptive Sports and Fitness Program — Providing support to athletes and coordinators during practices and competitions.