Cultural Considerations for Assessment and Treatment Across the Rehabilitation Setting
Description: The aim of this on-demand webinar is to engage interdisciplinary clinicians within rehabilitation settings to reflect upon, evaluate and intentionally address their own cultural competency. Rehabilitation providers will define, examine and construct evidence-based principles through the lens of person-centered care and shared decision-making. The on-demand webinar will provide participants with tools for critical self-reflection as they relate to assessment and treatment of adults..
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Distinguish the key differences between unconscious and consciousness provider bias and contrast their distinct impact on achieving positive patient outcomes within rehabilitation.
- Summarize the evidence that link the patient/provider relationship and communication disparities to population- level health disparities.
- Identify effective solutions to address unconscious provider bias within the rehabilitation setting.
- Combine the key principles of cultural humility with clinical practice within the rehabilitation setting.
Instructor: Treasyri Williams Wood, SLPD, CCC-SLP/L, CDP
Audience: Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Physical Therapist Assistants, Physical Therapists, Physicians, Social Workers, Speech-Language Pathologists,
Continuing Education Credits
The Illinois Physical Therapy Board has approved this course for 1.5 Contact Hours. Approval #216-000069
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board of Physical Therapy as an approved provider of physical therapy and physical therapist assistant continuing education. This course has been approved by the New York Physical Therapy Board for 1.5 Contact Hours
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# 02493. This distance learning – independent and interactive webinar is offered at .15 CEUs [intermediate, OT service delivery/ Professional Issues]. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is registered by the State of Illinois to sponsor continuing education programs for social workers. This program will award 1.5 CEU.
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago DBA Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is accredited by the Illinois State Medical Society (ISMS) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago DBA Shirley Ryan AbilityLab designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Financial: Receives an honorarium for teaching this course from the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
Non-financial: No relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
Basic Computer Requirements: To participate, you will need access to a device with an Internet connection. Computers, laptops, iOS and Android devices are supported.
High-speed broadband Internet access (LAN, Cable or DSL) is highly recommended.
Additional requirements include:
- Web browser: latest version of Chrome, Firefox, or Safari
- Speaker or headset to listen to recorded audio files
- Speaker and microphone, or headset with microphone, or phone to listen to webinar facilitators
- Do NOT use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge as they are not supported.
Cancellation Policy: To request a cancellation of an on-demand program, please provide written notice by letter, email, or fax or contact us by phone within 24 hours of placing your order and we will refund you the full course fee. If you cannot give notice within 24 hours, a credit towards a future course of equal value would apply.