Graciously bearing the name of one of the great Original Six NHL teams, the AbilityLab Blackhawks Sled Hockey Team was formed in the fall of 1999 with the support of the Chicago Blackhawks Charities. With its continued support of AbilityLab Adaptive Sports Program, the AbilityLab Blackhawks remains a robust presence in the sled hockey arena.
Anyone with a physical disability is welcome to join the Blackhawks sled hockey program.
The AbilityLab sled hockey program is comprised of two teams:
- A traveling competitive team for more advanced athletes; and
- A Developmental team is for up and coming athletes who wish to learn and develop their sled hockey skills as well as hone their talents at area competitions.
The AbilityLab Blackhawks are a founding member team of the Midwest Sled Hockey League (MWSHL), which includes the San Antonio Rampage, St. Louis Blues, and the Colorado Avalanche. Member teams each host a tournament weekend that culminates in the MSWHL Championship Cup, hosted each year in the Chicago.
We also participates in the Annual Sled Classic presented by the National Hockey League (2014 Champions) and the National Disabled Hockey Festival.
The sled hockey season begins in September and ends in April.
- September 18: Official Practice Begins! Team Meeting at 7:30 PM
- October 18-20: MWSHL Weekend #1 - Denver, CO (A Team)
- November 9-10: Central Illinois Sled Hockey Fall Brawl Tournament (B Team)
- November 21-24: NHL Sled Hockey Classic, St. Louis, MO
- December 7-8: HSHL Tournament, Chicago (B Team)
- January 10-12: MWSHL Weekend #2 - St. Louis, MO (A Team)
- January 19" Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Sled Hockey the United Center, Chicago
- February 7-9" MWSHL Weekend #3 - Nashville, TN (A Team)
- February 22-23: HSHL Tournament at Turnstone, Ft. Wayne, IN (B Team)
- March: MWSHL Champtionships, Chicago (A Team)
- March 20-22: HSHL Championships
- April 2-5: Disabled Sled Hockey Festival, Pittsburgh, PA