Dr. Lieber’s work is characterized by its interdisciplinary nature—an approach that is relevant to those who study biomechanics and Orthopaedic Surgery. He has published over 250 articles in journals ranging from the very basic such as The Biophysical Journal and The Journal of Cell Biology to those more applied such as The Journal of Hand Surgery and Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. Dr. Lieber’s research focuses on design and plasticity of skeletal muscle. Currently, he is developing state-of-the-art approaches to understanding muscle contractures that result from cerebral palsy, stroke and spinal cord injury.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
355 East Erie
Chicago, IL 60611
Education & Training
Honors & Awards
Founders AwardAmerican College of Sports Medicine (Southwest Chapter), Irvine, CA., 2014
Gayle G. Arnold AwardAmerican Academy of Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine, Minneapolis, MN., 2013
Kappa Delta AwardAmerican Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Chicago, IL., 2013
Lieber, R.L. (1996). Method and apparatus for controlling skeletal muscle fatigue during electrical stimulation. Patent Number: 5,507,788.
Lieber, R.L. (1989). Adaptive, closed-loop electrical stimulation of muscle. U.S. Patent Number: 4,838,272.
Lieber, R.L. and R.J. Baskin. (1986). Surgical myometer method. U.S. Patent Number: 4,570,641.
American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine (Member)
American College of Sports Medicine (Fellow)
American Society of Biomechanics (Fellow)
Biophysical Society (Member)
Fulbright Association (Life Member)
Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)(Member)
Society for Neuroscience (Member)
Western Orthopaedic Association (Honorary Member)
- 2005 - PresentSenior Research Career Scientist, Edward Hines Jr. Veterans Administration Hospital
- 2014 - PresentProfessor, Departments of Physiology, Biomedical Engineering and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (NU)
- 2009 - 2014Co-Director, Center for Musculoskeletal Research (Institute for Engineering in Medicine at UCSD)
- 2005 - 2014Director, National Skeletal Muscle Research Center
- 1994 - 2014Professor, University of California, San Diego, Departments of Orthopaedics and Bioengineering
- 1990 - 1994Associate Professor, University of California, San Diego, Departments of Orthopaedics and AMES/Bioengineering
- 2000 - 2005Research Career Scientist, Veterans Affairs Medical Center (GS-14), San Diego, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1986 - 2000Biomedical Engineer, GS-13/14, Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Diego, Department of Orthopaedic Research,
- 1985 - 1990Assistant Professor of Surgery, University of California, San Diego, Department of Surgery, Division of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation
- 1983 - 1986Biomedical Engineer, GS-11, Veterans Administration Medical Center, San Diego, Department of Orthopaedic Research
- 1992 - 1995Postgraduate Research Physiologist, University of California, San Diego, Department of Surgery, Division of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation
- 1981 - 1982Research Associate, University of California, Davis