Hospital and insurance billing can be confusing for patients and their families. At Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, we try to make it easy to understand and work with you every step of the way.
We encourage you to contact your insurance company (or an insurance company you are considering) directly to verify that Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is in-network for your particular plan.
We also allow patients and their families, as well as the public, to view Shirley Ryan AbilityLab's standard hospital charges for patient services. Requests for specific price estimates or viewing appointments should be directed to Patient Financial Services at 312-238-6039.
Accepted Insurance Plans
Today, most insurance plans require precertification prior to your care being provided. Please contact your insurance company prior to your care to verify that precertification and pre-authorization requirements have been met. Your insurance plan may require you to pay for a portion of your services. If your insurance requires copayments, please remember that these may be due at the time of service.
If you don’t see your plan listed below, please feel free to call the Managed Care Department at 312-238-4556 or 312-238-8020. We may be able to work with your plan on an arrangement for care with Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. Shirley Ryan AbilityLab participates with the following health plans:
- Aetna PPO & EPO (& Meritain Health An Aetna Company)
- Aetna Illinois Preferred
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois PPO*
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois PPO Blue Edge
- Blue Choice Options Tier 2
- Blue Advantage Entrepreneur (small employer groups 2-50)
- Cigna PPO & EPO**
- Cigna Local Plus **
- Cofinity PPO
- Evolutions Health Systems PPO (Evolutions Select product only)
- First Health/ Personal Care PPO
- Health Alliance Medical Plans
- Health Link
- HFN DPA
- Humana PPO (all products)
- Multiplan/Private Healthcare Systems (PHCS, Beech Street PPO, Integrated Health Plan Inc.)
- Out of State Blue Cross Blue Shield plans (Shirley Ryan AbilityLab will bill the local plan who then submits a claim to your national plan)
- UnitedHealthCare (UHC Choice, UHC Choice Plus, UHC Consumer Driven, UHC PPO, The Options PPO, Non Differential PPO)***
*Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is out-of-network with most Blue Choice, Blue Choice Select plans, and Blue FocusCare
**Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is out-of-network with Cigna Connect
*** Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is out-of-network with UnitedHealthcare Core, Navigate, Compass, Charter plans
- Aetna Open Access HMO
- Blue Advantage HMO*
- Blue Care Direct HMO-Advocate*
- Blue Precision HMO*
- Health Alliance Medical Plans
- Health Link HMO
- HMO of Illinois (HMOI)*
- Humana National HMO
- Humana IL Platinum HMO
- First Health/Personal Care: HMO
- Union Health HMO
- United Healthcare Choice HMO / Choice Plus HMO
* Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is not considered a contracted Prosthetics & Orthotics or Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider with Blue Advantage HMO, Blue Precision HMO or HMO Illinois (HMOI)
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is not a contracted Facility with the Blue Focus Care HMO product
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is not contracted with Cigna One Health HMO plan
- Aetna Choice
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Managed Choice Open Access POS POS II Managed Choice Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Cigna POS
- First Health / Personal Care POS (purchased by Aetna April 2013)
- Health Alliance Medical Plans
- Humana POS
- HFN POS
Medicare Advantage Plans
- Aetna Medicare Advantage
- BCBS IL Medicare Advantage PPO
- BCBS Medicare Supplemental Network*
- Community Care Alliance of Illinois, (CCAI, NFP Community Advantage HMO and Clear Spring Health)
- Community Care Alliance of Illinois, (CCAI, NFP Community Flex-Plan HMO-POS and Clear Spring Health)
- Health Alliance Medicare Advantage
- Humana Medicare Choice Care PPO
- Humana Medicare (Employer PPO)
- Humana Medicare Gold HMO
- Humana Medicare Gold Plus HMO
- Illinicare (all Medicare Advantage plans)
* Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is out of network with Blue Cross Medicare Advantage HMO
** Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is out-of-network with United Healthcare Medicare Advantage
- Aetna HMO State of Illinois
- Aetna OAP State of Illinois
- Aetna QCHP State of Illinois
- Blue Cross Community Options (Integrated Care Plan) ICP
- Blue Cross Community Options (Family Health Plan) FHP
- Blue Cross Community Options (Medicare-Medicaid Plan) MMAI
- County Care Health Plan
- Health Alliance MMAI Dual Eligible (Medicare & Medicaid)
- Humana Dual Eligible (Medicare & Medicaid) including Gold Plus plans
- IlliniCare (Seniors & Persons with Disability Integrated Care Plan) ICP
- IlliniCare Dual Eligible (Medicare & Medicaid)
- IlliniCare Family Health Plans/Affordable Care Act Health Plans
- Illinois Department of Public Aid (IDPA, Medicaid)
- Jesse Brown VA Department of Veterans Affairs
- Meridian Health Plan of Illinois Dual Eligible (Medicare - Medicaid MMAI)
- Meridian Health Plan of Illinois Integrated Care Plan (ICP / Family Health Plan - Accountable Care Act Plans)
- Tricare East Region (Active Duty Military) Humana Military
- Veterans Choice Program - Health Net Federal Services
Independent Practice Association (IPAs) through HMO Illinois, Blue Advantage HMO and Humana Commercial HMO
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab contracts with various Independent Physician Associations (IPAs) who have relationships with Humana HMO, HMO Illinois and Blue Advantage HMO. Please check with your IPA for further information related to their relationship with Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
Patients with insurance plans that are not on Shirley Ryan AbilityLab's Accepted Insurance list may contact their insurance company directly to learn more about their insurance out-of- network benefits at Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
In compliance with federal law, Shirley Ryan AbilityLab publishes a list of its standard charges. These are standard rates for all services and items provided by Shirley Ryan AbilityLab; notwithstanding, these rates typically do not reflect what a patient or their insurance company will actually pay in connection with those services and items. For example, government insurance plans such as Medicare and Medicaid do not pay these standard charges, but instead have different rates that hospitals are generally required to accept in order to participate in those programs. The rates paid by commercial insurance companies are typically established through contract negotiations between the insurance company and the hospital, and often are also different than these standard charges.
Uninsured or underinsured patients should consult with Shirley Ryan AbilityLab’s admitting and billing staff to determine whether they qualify for financial assistance or other discounts.
The standard charges posted below are current as of January 1, 2019, and may be updated from time to time. They are posted below in a patient friendly format (PDF) and machine readable (.txt) as required by federal law. Any questions regarding Shirley Ryan AbilityLab’s standard charges, or the amount of your actual financial responsibility, may be directed to the Patient Financial Services Department at (312) 238-6039.
During the admitting process, your Shirley Ryan AbilityLab admitting representative will discuss with you the financial aspects of your stay. In addition, you will have a patient financial services representative to answer individual billing questions.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab bills for all services as an outpatient hospital visit, including your Shirley Ryan AbilityLab physician visits. It is important that you understand your insurance plan coverage and how this may affect your out-of-pocket expenses, including co-pays and deductibles.
Two Separate Bills
Because physician services are billed separately, you should expect to receive two (2) separate bills for each visit with a Shirley Ryan AbilityLab physician. Physician bills will come under the heading "RIC Medical Services" and will contain the professional services that were provided. The second bill will be from Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (the hospital) and will contain charges for use of the facility.
The sum of these two (2) bills – physician and hospital – will equal the total charge of the office visit. You are not being double-charged.
Charity Care Financial Assistance
For more information on our Charity Care Financial Assistance Program, please click here.