Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is the nationally recognized leader in rehabilitation care, and offers individuals the opportunity to work with the foremost experts in aphasia research and treatment. We provide an intensive, month-long therapy led by Leora Cherney, PhD, CCC-SLP. Here are questions you should consider when choosing an aphasia treatment program.
- Why choose an intensive program?
- Why choose Shirley Ryan AbilityLab?
- What sessions are offered?
- What are the program costs?
- Am I eligible for the intensive therapy program?
- How do I apply?
Why an intensive program?
Recent studies have shown that individuals with aphasia benefit from intense treatment provided over a short period of time. This therapy regimen increases the possibility of improved communication.
Why choose Shirley Ryan AbilityLab's program?
- All therapy is provided by licensed, certified speech-language pathologists who are among the most experienced in the field of aphasia treatment. Although Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is a teaching hospital, this specialized clinical program does not utilize students to provide clinical care.
- Therapy is based on the latest, evidence-based information including cutting-edge research from Shirley Ryan AbilityLab’s Center for Aphasia Research and Treatment.
- This program is offered full day, five days a week, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Participants will receive 30 hours of speech and language therapy each week.
- Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (formerly the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago) is the recognized leader in rehabilitation care, having been ranked the “#1 Rehabilitation Hospital in America” by U.S. News and World Report every year since 1991.
Note: These dates are offered for a 4-week, in-person program. The dates will be modified within these time periods if we are offering a virtual program.
February 7 - March 9
April 18 - May 18
August 1 - August 31
October 10 - November 9
The cost of the Intensive Aphasia Therapy Program is $20,916. This covers all individual, group, and computer-based therapies for the month-long program and includes daily lunches. The cost is pro-rated for virtual programs.
Payments are required directly from the participant to Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. At the end of the program, we will provide you with documentation including a patient statement indicating the daily charge, your payments, and a report of your weekly and overall communication progress.
Below is a payment schedule for the Intensive Aphasia Therapy Program.
2022 Program Payment Schedule
- $5,000 non-refundable deposit is required at the time of acceptance into the program
- $6,500 is required two weeks prior to the start of the program
- Two payments of $4,708 are required in installments at the beginning of each of the four weeks of the program
This program is open to all individuals with aphasia, but must be at least 18 years old. Participants should also:
- Be medically stable
- Be able to endure the intensity of the program
- Be independent in mobility and self-care, or be accompanied by a caregiver at all times
Applications will be reviewed to determine appropriateness of each individual for the program. Invitations will be on a first-come, first-served basis in response to the invitation.
Interested participants must complete the three-part application package:
- Intensive Aphasia Therapy Program Application (download below)
- Physician Medical Information Form (download below)
- Communication Report (From your current or most recent speech-language pathologist)