At the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, you will be at the center of your pain management program. The Pain Management Center coordinates the disciplines of chronic pain management into a single treatment plan so you have all of the best resources to better manage your pain together at one time and location. Your treatment team will consist of the following members:
- Physicians with a specialty in physical medicine & rehabilitation and pain management
- Pain Psychologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Relaxation Therapists
- Vocational Rehabilitation specialists
- Nurses experienced in pain management
Request an AppointmentForm
Treatments for Your Lifestyle
The program focuses on reintegrating you into your usual family, social, vocational, and leisure activities. You will learn various relaxation techniques, occupational therapy strategies and physical therapy exercises that you can apply to your own pain-management program. Vocational rehabilitation can also give you tools to better succeed in and/or return to the workplace. The program will include group-based sessions focused on learning the complexities of pain, movement based techniques, as well as family meetings to help educate your family and empower them to support you in your recovery and progress.
Based on the outcome of your assessment, recommendations will be made for the best treatment plan for you. The Pain Management Center has various programs, ranging from 1-2 half days per week for a set number of weeks determined at your evaluation, to a full day program taking place over 4 weeks. There are also separate programs designed for adolescents with chronic pain problems.
Pain & Worker's Compensation
Workers who are injured on the job often experience pain and our Pain Management Center has program specifically designed for their unique needs:
- Transitional WorkRehab: Designed with time at the Center and self-management strategies while at work
- 2-Week DayRehab®: Designed for the recently injured worker, before their pain has become chronic (less than 6 month post-accident)
- 4-Week DayRehab®: Designed for the injured worker that has complex pain, including psychosocial behavior
- Catastrophic Inpatient Rehabilitation: When appropriate, we have targeted programs and expert care for those who have suffered severe injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, amputations, spinal cord injuries, and burns & wounds. Inpatient care also affords you access to our temporary family housing, our Global Patient Service team, and DayRehab & outpatient levels of care.
If you've previously received care or rehabilitation for an on-the-job injury but are still experience pain, visit our Expert Eval - Second Opinion team. Once the evaluation is complete, this team of Care Managers, doctors and therapists will customize a treatment plan that can help the patient maximize his or her ability. Please visit our Workers' Compensation Program page for more information.