The primary study objectives seek to examine the time course of a single or successive session(s) of Acute Intermittent Hypoxia (AIH) on upper extremity muscle strength and functional outcomes in individuals with a chronic incomplete cervical spinal cord injury. The results will be compared to strength and functional outcomes from a control condition (normal room air).
Who Can Participate
The following eligibility criteria must be met in order to participate:
- History of incomplete (ASIA C or D) Spinal Cord Injury between the levels of C3-T1.
- Must be at least 6 months post injury
- Must be medically stable with no significant cardiopulmonary conditions
- No history of sleep apnea
- Not currently taking any antispasticity medications (>2 weeks)
Single session of AIH or Normal Room Air + Testing (2 day commitment): $100
Successive sessions of AIH or Normal Room Air + Testing (3 day commitment): $170
Age Range 18-70