The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is seeking healthy elderly participants to study the effect of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) to investigate memory.
During the study, participants will be stimulated in a non-invasive way while seated in a comfortable chair and will complete a memory game. Muscle activity sensors will be placed on one foot to measure the muscle responses. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) will also be used to observe the brain twice during each visit.
Main exclusion criteria are a history of epilepsy/seizures, any neurological diagnosis and/or metal implants in the head.
Who Can Participate
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- English speaking adults
- Ages 60-85 years
- Able to see ~1 ft without glasses (contacts are okay)
- No history of a brain lesion (like a stroke), neurological disease, or brain injury
- Available to come to the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab for up to six, 4 - 4.5 hour visits
- Able to complete MRI brain scans
- No current/history of epilepsy or seizures