Managing Neurogenic Bowel and Bladder in the Person with Spinal Cord Injury
Description: Neurogenic bowel and bladder management in the person with spinal cord injury (SCI) is, for many patients, the most difficult adjustment to their disability. It takes knowledge of the basics as well as the ability to problem-solve these programs for a health care provider to teach the patient and family management of the neurogenic bowel and bladder, help the patient optimize their program, minimize the time spent on these programs, and to prevent complications. This lecture will explain neurogenic bowel and bladder in persons with spinal cord injury, how to manage and how to problem-solve these programs as well as health maintenance and monitoring. It is designed for the health care provider with skill levels from novice to expert.
Audience: Physical Therapists, Physical Therapy Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Nurses
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- State the 2 types of Neurogenic Bowel and the appropriate bowel program to manage each.
- Describe 3 ways to optimize bowel program and 3 problem-solving techniques for bowel regulation
- State the 3 types of Neurogenic Bladder and the appropriate bladder program to manage each.
- Describe 5 bladder complications that need to be addressed to prevent problems.
- Identify equipment available to increase level of independence in performing independent bowel and bladder management for the person with a spinal cord injury.
Successful Completion: After viewing the 1.5 hour pre-recorded webinar, you will complete a course evaluation and take a short assessment. You may download copies of your certificate from the RIC Learning Portal or request a copy to be sent to you by mail.
Continuing Education Credits
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an approved provider for the American Occupational Therapy Association to offer continuing education in occupational therapy. This intermediate level program awards occupational therapists 0.15 CEUs or 1.5 contact hours. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
This course has been approved by the Illinois Physical Therapy Board for 1.5 Contact Hours. Approval #216-000069
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. (OBN-001-91) (OH-362- 9/01/2017).
This CNE activity is being offered for 1.5 contact hours
Cancellation Policy: To request a cancellation of an on-demand program, please provide written notice by letter, email, or fax or contact us by phone within 24 hours of placing your order and we will refund you the full course fee. If you cannot give notice within 24 hours, a credit towards a future course of equal value would apply.
Basic Computer Requirements: You will need access to a computer with an Internet connection. High speed broadband access (LAN, Cable or DSL) is highly recommended.
- PC: Compatible Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 Web Browser: Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- MAC: Compatible Operating System: OS X Web Browser: Firefox, Chrome, Safari