2/01/22: Medical Management in the Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation Setting for Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury
Time: February 1, 2022, 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm Central Standard Time.
Note: If you are unable to attend the live event, you will be automatically enrolled in the on-demand version.
Description: This course will review common medical conditions and complications, which occur in individuals with spinal cord injuries during the acute inpatient rehabilitation phase of recovery. The management of neurogenic bladder, neurogenic bowel, autonomic dysreflexia, and spasticity will be reviewed. We will also discuss the prevention of venous thromboembolism and pressure injuries as well as their impact on the rehabilitation process.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- State the differences between upper and lower motor neuron neurogenic bowel and bladder.
- Summarize an appropriate care plan for the management of neurogenic bowel and bladder.
- Develop a care plan to prevent pressure injuries from forming or worsening.
- Describe the signs and symptoms of autonomic dysreflexia and understand the acute management for stabilization.
- Express the positive and negative impact spasticity can have on function as well as pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic treatment options.
Instructor: Allison Kessler, MD, MSc; Attending Physician, Division of Spinal Cord Injury Medicine, Shirley Ryan Abilitylab; Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Audience: Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Speech-Language Pathologists, Nurses
Continuing Education Credits
The Illinois Physical Therapy Board has approved this course for 1.5 Contact Hours. Approval #216-000069
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board of Physical Therapy as an approved provider of physical therapy and physical therapist assistant continuing education. This course has been approved by the New York Physical Therapy Board for 1.5 Contact Hours
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Course approval ID# 02492, This distance learning – independent and interactive webinar is offered at .15 CEUs [intermediate, OT service delivery/ Professional Issues]. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.
This course is offered for 0.15 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Related area).
Allison Kessler, MD, MSc;
Financial: Receives a salary for teaching this course from the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
Non-financial: No relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
Basic Computer Requirements: You will need access to a computer with an Internet connection. High speed broadband access (LAN, Cable or DSL) is highly recommended.
- PC: Compatible Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 Web Browser: Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome
- MAC: Compatible Operating System: OS X Web Browser: Firefox, Chrome, Safari
- Do NOT use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge as they are not supported.
Cancellation Policy: To request a cancellation of a live webinar, please provide written notice by email or by phone within 24 hours of placing your order and we will refund you the full course fee. If you cannot give notice within 24 hours, a credit towards a future course of equal value would apply.