10/06/21: An Introduction to Music Therapy in Rehabilitation
Time: October 6, 2021, 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm Central Daylight Time.
Note: If you are unable to attend the live event, you will be automatically enrolled in the on-demand version.
Description: In this introduction to music therapy lecture, participants will learn about the current practice of music therapy within the field of rehabilitation medicine. Information will include the neurologic music therapy approach, how music is processed in the brain, and specific intervention examples related to music therapy for speech, cognition, and sensorimotor rehabilitation. Participants will examine the use of specific elements of music (rhythm, timbre, tempo, pitch, etc.) and how these are manipulated within music therapy intervention.
Objectives: Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the education and training and standards of clinical practice of a board-certified music therapist.
- Identify how and where music is processed in the brain.
- Identify the music therapist treatment process within neurologic music therapy.
- outline music therapy treatment for speech, cognition, and sensorimotor needs in rehabilitation.
- Experience examples of music therapy interventions based on patient symptoms, dx, and needs assessment.
Instructor: Jeffrey Wolfe, MM, MT-BC
Audience: Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Speech-Language Pathologists
Continuing Education Credits
The Illinois Physical Therapy Board has approved this course for 1.5 Contact Hours. Approval #216-000069
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board of Physical Therapy as an approved provider of physical therapy and physical therapist assistant continuing education. This course has been approved by the New York Physical Therapy Board for 1.5 Contact Hours
We have applied for AOTA CEUs.
This course is offered for 0.15 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Related area).
Jeffrey Wolfe, MM, MT-BC
Financial: Receives an honorarium for teaching this course from the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab; employed by the Institute for Therapy through the Arts
Non-financial: No relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
Basic Computer Requirements: You will need access to a computer with an Internet connection. High speed broadband access (LAN, Cable or DSL) is highly recommended.
- PC: Compatible Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 Web Browser: Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome
- MAC: Compatible Operating System: OS X Web Browser: Firefox, Chrome, Safari
- Do NOT use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge as they are not supported.
Cancellation Policy: To request a cancellation of a live webinar, please provide written notice by email or by phone within 24 hours of placing your order and we will refund you the full course fee. If you cannot give notice within 24 hours, a credit towards a future course of equal value would apply.