Z Concussion: Evaluation and Management from Work to Working Out
Online series runs over 7 weeks - through May 27
Recordings available ON-DEMAND if you miss a live session
No travel needed to participate in this comprehensive course
Interactive group discussion board to interface with faculty and classmates
Description: This online series is intended primarily for physical and occupational therapists, athletic trainers, physicians, and physiatrists. Over seven weeks, this course explores the observation, analysis and management of adult individuals with concussive symptoms. A systems-based approach will be utilized with particular reference to management, rehabilitation programs, return to work, play and preventative strategies. Exertional training, return to play and return to work strategies will help the clinician manage a general population of patient presentations with concussions. The emphasis of patient cases will focus on concussion management in individuals in the workforce as well as athletes. Participants will have the opportunity to interact and discuss cases with course faculty live and on a discussion board.
Successful completion: Participants will attend 9 online lectures and will complete at least 18.5 hours of self-study and live activities. The self-study activities for the course will consist of readings, questions, discussion board postings, case studies and experiences with classmates and faculty. Participants must sign in and complete all required assignments for full course credit.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify concepts related to clinical management of patient’s with concussion.
- Formulate a patient history and objective examination for a patient with a concussion.
- Summarize the elements of a comprehensive medical evaluation of concussion.
- Identify evidence-based research for concussion.
- Implement evaluation and treatment techniques in concussion using a case based approach.
- Integrate a systems based approach to management of concussion.
- Explain the role of cognitive rehabilitation in facilitating recovery from concussion.
Audience: Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Athletic Trainers, and Physicians (not offering CME).
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDIT
- This course has been approved by the Illinois Physical Therapy Board for 18.5 Contact Hours (2.0 Hours Live, Self-Study 16.5). Approval #216-000069
- The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Physical Therapy as an approved provider of physical therapy and physical therapist assistant continuing education. This 9 module live virtual experience has been approved for 18.5 Contact Hours (2.0 Hours Live; Self-Study, 16.5).
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an approved provider for the American Occupational Therapy Association to offer continuing education in occupational therapy. This blended intermediate level program awards occupational therapists 1.85 CEUs (1.650 Self-Study, 0.20 Live) and 18.50 contact hours (16.5 contact hours Self-Study, 2 Live). The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA. Category Level 2: OT Process
The Shirley Ryan AbilityLab BOC Approved Provider Number: P794 is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 18.5 cumulative Category A hours/CEUs. ATs should register for the course and claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program. According to the education levels described by the PDC, the following continuing education course is considered to be Advanced Level.
To participate, you will need access to a computer with an Internet connection. High-speed broadband access (LAN, Cable or DSL) is highly recommended.
Web browser: Internet Explorer 8+, Firefox 2+, Safari 1.2+, Google Chrome
Flash Player 9+
Speaker or headset to listen to audio files and participate in WebEx calls